50 Reasons Why the Resurrection Changed Everything
by Steven D. Mathewson;
In Stock - Usually dispatched within 48 hours
A Bird's Eye View
Ideal Easter devotional with 50 short chapters putting the crucifixion back into perspective.
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £6.99 Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
Full Product Description
‘Risen’ is a daily devotional book that puts the crucifixion back into perspective – an absolutely incredible event that’s changed EVERYTHING.
Steven Matthewson, respected pastor and scholar, carefully unpacks why the resurrection is worth more than a yearly celebration; it deserves our every thought as the amazing foundation of Christian life. Written in 50 brief chapters, each focusing on a single impact the resurrection has on you. With theological clout and engaging narrative, this insightful book speaks directly into contemporary life.
An ideal post-Easter devotional (set against the backdrop of the Pentecost) or as an alternative devotional over Lent, ‘Risen’ will reconnect your daily life with the absolute power and far-reaching implications of the empty cross.
Risen by Steven D. Mathewson was published by Baker in February 2013 and is our 28714th best seller. The ISBN for Risen is 9780801015144.
Reviews of Risen
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
RisenJackie Rowe, via The Good Book Stall
I devoured this book in just a few hours. However, the author's intention is that the fifty short chapters should be read at the rate of one reading a day. And he suggests that a good day to start would be on Easter Sunday. Anyone doing this will arrive at the last chapter on Pentecost Sunday. I plan to do this next Easter!
Steven has a real gift for making a complex subject easy to understand. As I read some of the chapters I felt that light-bulbs were clicking on in my mind. His enthusiasm for the subject lights up every page.
This is an important book, because for many people Jesus' Resurrection is just a footnote to His death on the Cross for our sins. But as you read these meditations you will clearly understand how the Resurrection changes everything and has a powerful impact on our lives now and throughout eternity. I can wholeheartedly recommend this book.
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about Risen.
If you like this you may also like...
Have you ever wondered why its important that Jesus didnt just die on the cross but also rose again? In fifty brief chapters, Risen answers your questions and offers faith-filled meditations on the resurrection, taking these ancient truths and applying them to contemporary life. With compelling insight, Steven Mathewson shows not only why Jesus had to die but why his resurrection was necessary-and how our lives change when we understand and embrace this essential truth of the Christian faith.
1. To Give Us Eternal Life: John 11:25–27
2. To Show His Power over Death: Acts 2:24; Romans 6:9
3. To Heal Us: Acts 4:10
4. To Receive the Blessings Promised to David: Acts 13:34
5. To Forgive Our Sins: Acts 13:37–38; 1 Corinthians 15:17
6. To Elevate His Power and Authority: Romans 1:4
7. To Justify Sinners: Romans 4:23–25; Acts 13:39
8. To Give Us a New Way to Live: Romans 6:4, 8–11
9. To Unite Us with Him in His Resurrection: Romans 6:5–8
10. To Make Us Fruitful: Romans 7:4
11. To Give Life to Our Mortal Bodies: Romans 8:11
12. To End Our Obligation to the Flesh: Romans 8:12–13
13. To Provide Us with Future Glory: Romans 8:18
14. To Set Creation Free from Its Bondage: Romans 8:21–22
15. To Adopt Us into God’s Family: Romans 8:23
16. To Intercede for Us at God’s Right Hand: Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:23–25
17. To Fulfill the Scriptures: 1 Corinthians 15:4; Luke 24:44–47
18. To Make Our Faith and Preaching Worthwhile: 1 Corinthians 15:14–15
19. To Guarantee Our Future Resurrection: 1 Corinthians 15:20–23; 1 Thessalonians 4:14
20. To Destroy All Other Powers through His Reign: 1 Corinthians 15:24–27
21. To Destroy the Enemy of Death: 1 Corinthians 15:26, 54–57; Luke 20:36
22. To Give Us a Reason to Endanger Our Lives: 1 Corinthians 15:30–31
23. To Deliver Us from Self-Indulgence: 1 Corinthians 15:32
24. To Give Us Heavenly, Imperishable Bodies: 1 Corinthians 15:42–48
25. To Clothe Us with His Image: 1 Corinthians 15:49
26. To Give Us Immortality: 1 Corinthians 15:53
27. To Overcome the Power of the Law: 1 Corinthians 15:56–57
28. To Make Serving the Lord Worthwhile: 1 Corinthians 15:58
29. To Give Us Hope in Hard Times: 2 Corinthians 1:8–11
30. To Give Us a Greater Purpose in Life: 2 Corinthians 5:15
31. To Let Us Experience God’s Mighty Power: Ephesians 1:18–20
32. To Display God’s Amazing Grace: Ephesians 2:6–7
33. To Bring Victory into Our Intimacy with Him: Philippians 3:10–11
34. To Make Us Full in Him: Colossians 2:9–12
35. To Reorient Our Desires: Colossians 3:1–2
36. To Let Us Appear with Him in Glory: Colossians 3:4; Acts 1:11
37. To Enable Us to Kill Our Old Way of Life: Colossians 3:5–10
38. To Rescue Us from Coming Wrath: 1 Thessalonians 1:10
39. To Serve as Our Eternal Shepherd: Hebrews 13:20; Revelation 7:17
40. To Give Us New Birth into a Living Hope: 1 Peter 1:3; Acts 23:6; 1 Thessalonians 4:13–14
41. To Glorify the Lamb of God: 1 Peter 1:18–21; Acts 3:13–15
42. To Show That Death Does Not Stop Us from Living: Matthew 22:30–32; Romans 14:9
43. To Confirm His Words about Being Raised to Life: Matthew 28:5–7
44. To Continue the Mission of God: Matthew 28:18–20
45. To Share His Presence with His Followers until His Return: Matthew 28:20
46. To Teach More about the Kingdom of God: Acts 1:3
47. To Prove God’s Commitment to Justice: Acts 17:31
48. To Make Possible the Judgment of the Wicked: John 5:28–30; Acts 24:15; Revelation 20:11–15
49. To Give Him Complete Supremacy: Colossians 1:18; Revelation 1:4–5
50. To Provide Life in the Unfiltered Presence of God: Revelation 21:3–4, 22; 22:1
Conclusion: A Final Question and a Tremendous Story
For Further Reading
An Eight-Week Small Group Bible Study
"Isn't it an odd thing--that the death of Jesus gets far more attention than the resurrection of Jesus? But Steven Mathewson, pastor and scholar, is doing something about it. He has prepared an extensive immersion, fifty days through the season of Pentecost, in prayer meditation on Jesus's resurrection. Join him on this Emmaus Road resurrection conversation."--Eugene Peterson, Professor Emeritus of Spiritual Theology, Regent College
"I just love good books on the resurrection of Jesus Christ! But so few of these texts ever take the time to carefully unpack exactly why this event is so absolutely incredible, or how it grounds virtually everything in the Christian life. However, Steve Mathewson's volume Risen: 50 Reasons Why the Resurrection Changed Everything remedies all that. The minute I saw it, I thought that this is exactly what we need. In fact, in the middle of a busy day I immediately dropped everything and studied the entire book in just a couple of hours. It is a very enlightening and rewarding read! I recommend it without hesitation."--Gary R. Habermas, Distinguished Research Professor, Liberty University and Theological Seminary
"Without the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, our faith would be futile. I'm so grateful to Steve Mathewson for surveying God's Word to find fifty reasons for great celebration that Jesus was indeed raised to life on the third day. These reflections will deepen your faith in the God who still performs miracles, especially saving sinners from the death we deserved."--Collin Hansen, editorial director, The Gospel Coalition; co-author, A God-Sized Vision: Revival Stories That Stretch and Stir
"The resurrection of Jesus is God's signed receipt that the death of Jesus is full payment for our sins. Yet, it means much, much more. Steve Mathewson has written a book of reflections on that momentous event that will leave you shouting, 'Jesus Christ has risen and what a difference that makes!'"-- Haddon Robinson, Harold John Ockenga Professor of Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary; teacher on the Discover the Word radio program
"For too many Christians, resurrection is little more than a footnote to the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ, merely confirming that at Calvary the debt of sin was paid in full. Steve Mathewson has done us a great favor with his series of fifty expositions to lead us into the magnificent depths of this essential doctrine. As you work slowly and carefully through the mediations, you will understand why the Church has always asserted that the resurrection of Jesus Christ changes everything!"--Gerry Breshears, professor of theology, Western Seminary (Portland); co-author of Vintage Jesus and Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe
"A thought-provoking, spirit-stimulating exploration of a stunning--but strangely undervalued--reality. Steve's book isn't just for Easter. It's for life."--Barry Cooper, author and presenter of Discipleship Explored; co-author of Christianity Explored
"The power and purposes of Christ are wonderfully declared on every page of this book. Each chapter thoughtfully evokes and invites you to worship Jesus."--Pamela MacRae, assistant professor, Pastoral Studies Department, Moody Bible Institute
Samples of this Book
Details for Risen
|Page last updated||25th February 2017|
|Author / Artist||Steven D. Mathewson|
|Publisher||Baker (February 2013)|
|Number of Pages||144|