Pentecostals (traditionally) do not think theologically so much as do it practically. This book will present Pentecostal theology as well as the particular style of Pentecostal thinking and praxis that makes it different. Pentecostalism is not just distinctive because of its belief base but also because of the worldview it owns. The latter is based on a certainty that a religion that does not work is not worth much. Consequently, they look for expressions of life and vitality in their faith. These dominate, rather than an expression of the cerebral, though this is changing. Nevertheless, the sense of the immediate, the God of the now not the distant past, underlie how they do theology. Pentecostal theology tends to be seen through the eyes of people, not theologians; through the community, not traditions (though they have them); through their faith and worship, not ancient creeds. It is a theology of the dynamic, seen through the lens of experience. It is a functional theology that exists to operate; to incorporate an experiential dimension. Pentecostal theology does not operate as other theologies which often only detail a list of beliefs; it does this but also and (more) importantly, it explores them in the context of praxis. Thus, this volume incorporates praxis as part of the enquiry relating to theology.
1. History Beginnings Global Perspectives Growth Areas Creeds
2. Theology/Praxis - The nature and Attributes of God Similarity with Evangelical Theology Creation Trinity Angels/Demons Providence/Sovereignty Miracles Good/Evil
3. The Person and Ministry of Christ Similarity with Evangelical Theology Nature of Christ Relationship with the Spirit
4. The Person and Ministry of the Spirit Roles of the Spirit Ministry of the Spirit Baptism in the Spirit Gifts of the Spirit Healing
5. Exorcism Prophecy Tongues and Interpretation
6. The Bible Authority/Infallibility/Inerrancy Hermeneutics Preaching
7. Redemption and its Application Death of Christ Justification Law and Spirit
8. The Church Models of Church Leadership Sacraments Baptism in Water Lord's Supper
9. Footwashing Worship Corporate Aspects
11. Praise Song
Keith Warrington is Vice-Principal and Director of Doctoral Studies, Regents Theological College, England.
Pentecostal Theology by Keith Warrington was published by Continuum in August 2008 and is our 31372nd best seller. The ISBN for Pentecostal Theology is 9780567044525.