Based on the 4 times Oscar winning film 'The King’s Speech', Hilary Brand opens her 2012 Lent course an engaging new examination of the fears that prevent our true expression as followers of Christ.
The other articles of this series are:
- 1. Not a Tame Lion - a Lent course on C S Lewis' Narnia films by Hilary Brand.
- 2. Finding A Voice: King's Speech Lent Course
- 3. Christ and the Chocolaterie - by Hilary Brand: A Lent course from the movie 'Chocolat'
Finding our true and authentic voice in Christ
‘Finding a Voice’ is the new and original Lent course for 2012 by Hilary Brand. Starting with scenes from the multi Oscar and BAFTA winning movie, ‘The King's Speech’, ‘Finding a Voice’ explores the ways in which, like Colin Firth’s Bertie, we too can face and overcome our terrors to find our true and authentic voice.
Themes for each of the five weeks of Lent are introduced with an extract from the film. Questions follow for individual thought or group discussion. Each film extracted is linked to a relevant Bible passage leading into practical exercises and prayerful meditations.
A short introduction opens each film related Bible meditation. Notes and further Bible passages are given for continuing reflection throughout the week. Suggestions for a follow up session make sure that the course is experienced to its maximum benefit, along with full notes for leaders.
Another movie based Lent Course by Hilary Brand
Hilary Brand is skilled and experienced in using the visual impact of art and film to explore Bible themes and their life changing application. In ‘Christ and the Chocolaterie’ Hilary takes the story and characters of the movie ‘Chocolat’ to explore what it means to be truly and completely human.
Quick Guide to
Finding A Voice - what is it?
- A Lent course based on the Bible and related scenes and characters from the Oscar winning film ‘The King’s Speech’.
- Five sections exploring the fears that hold us back from finding out true and authentic voice in Christ.
- Personal meditations and group studies exploring the Bible from the words, images and personalities of the film ‘The King’s Speech.
Finding A Voice - why should I want it?
- To find renewal and spiritual growth through Lent and to discover our true identity, expression and calling in Christ.
- As a resource for leading a group study or to follow a course of private devotions through Lent.
- To provide a new and imaginative centre for those who might not otherwise attend a group Bible study course for Lent.
Over to You
At Eden.co.uk you can find a truly interactive Christian community helping you find all you need to live, learn and grow your faith.
The film ‘The Kings Speech’ tells a true story of a man trying to do his best in a job he was not expecting and not trained to carry out. Finding his voice was very much a part of his finding himself.
- Formal Christian worship is very much based in expressing ourselves in words, how do you think this affects those who have difficulty finding or producing words – especially in public.
- Have you got any ideas for making worship more inclusive for people who struggle to find the words they want to express themselves in worship or prayer, are there other ways that should be encouraged?
Tell us. Post your ideas, views and tips – beautiful, bizarre and brilliant at Eden.co.uk
February 3rd, 2012 - Posted & Written by Les Ellison