Zizek and Theology Paperback
by Adam Kotsko;
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £33.65 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
Zizek and Theology
Full Product Description
But Žižek’s work on Christianity often overwhelms students of theology. To be sure, Žižek’s style of argumentation is unusual and his concepts are complex. But the more basic problem is that the work on Christianity is a further development of a broader intellectual project established in many thick volumes produced in the course of the 1990s. This book will bring students of theology up to speed on this broader intellectual project, with an eye toward what brings him to an explicit engagement with Christianity and how both his earlier and more recent works are relevant for theological reflection.
Introduction - A Materialist Theology?
General overview of Žižek’s trajectory
1. Ideology critique and nationalism (early 90’s)
2. Theory of revolutionary subjectivity (late 90’s/early 2000’s)
3. Philosophy of freedom (current work)
1. Basic concepts of Lacanian psychoanalysis used by Žižek
2. The Hegelian style of argument
3. Žižek’s materialism: revising Marx, reviving Lenin
4. Use of popular culture
1. Ideology critique (Sublime Object of Ideology)
2. A theory of nationalism (Tarrying With the Negative)
3. The revolutionary subject (The Ticklish Subject)
4. The subversive core of Christianity (Fragile Absolute, Puppet and the Dwarf, The Parallax View)
5. Freedom and materialism (The Parallax View)
6. Appendix: Cultural and political analysis
1. The reception/response in theology
2. Radical Orthodox critics
3. Assessing Žižek’s contribution as a philosophical reader of Paul
4. Possible future connections
5. Žižek in light of Bonhoeffer’s “religionless Christianity”
6. Žižek and “death of God” theology
Adam Kotsko is a teaching assistant at Chicago Theological Seminary. His current research interests include 20th century European philosophy and early Christian thought.
Zizek and Theology by Adam Kotsko was published by Continuum in May 2008 and is our 51709th best seller. The ISBN for Zizek and Theology is 9780567032454.
Reviews of Zizek and Theology
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about Zizek and Theology.
Details for Zizek and Theology
|Page last updated||24th January 2014|
|Author / Artist||Adam Kotsko|
|Publisher||Continuum (May 2008)|
|Number of Pages||184|