The World's Religions Paperback
by Ninian Smart;
In Stock - Usually dispatched within 24 hours
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £34.99 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
The World's Religions
Full Product Description
This book is a revised and updated edition of a popular work, which looks at the world's religions in terms of world history, and as constantly developing systems of belief.
Part I traces the development of religions, as they evolved from the traditions of the ancient world.
Part II examines the changes to faiths and cultures following the Renaissance and the voyages of conquest and discovery, and asks how, why, and with what effect religions have been refashioned over the ages up to today.
In this richly illustrated new edition, religions are described through their symbols, rituals, followers, architecture and art. References, statistics, maps and pictures have been updated and added, illuminating the true nature of each religion.
The text has been thoroughly revised to highlight recent developments, such as the spread of Islam, African-American and Hispanic-American religious experience, and women priests.
- New edition of popular book with updated references, statistics, scholarship, and maps
- Restructured to make it more user-friendly, with new colour pictures
- Additional text on key topics such as the spread of Islam, African-American and Hispanic-American religious experience, and women priests
The World's Religions by Ninian Smart was published by Cambridge University Press in June 1998 and is our 26772nd best seller. The ISBN for The World's Religions is 9780521637480.
Reviews of The World's Religions
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about The World's Religions.
1. Earliest religions
2. South Asia
5. Southeast Asia
6. The Pacific
7. The Americas
8. The ancient Near East
9. Persia and Central Asia
10. The Greek and Roman world
11. Classical and medieval Christianity and Judaism
12. Classical and medieval Islam
13. Classical African religions
14. The explosion of Europe and the re-forming of Christianity
15. North America
16. South Asia and reactions to colonial intervention
17. China and Korea in modern times
18. Modern Southeast Asia
19. Japan in modern times
20. Islam passes through the shadows
21. The colonial impact in the Pacific
22. Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union
23. Africa in the modern world
24. Latin America and the Caribbean
25. Some final reflections on global religion
Details for The World's Religions
|Page last updated||25th January 2017|
|Author / Artist||Ninian Smart|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press (June 1998)|
|Edition||2nd Revised edition|
|Number of Pages||608|