Philosophy of Religion Paperback
Towards a More Humane Approach
by John Cottingham;
In Stock - Usually dispatched within 24 hours
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £22.20 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
Philosophy of Religion
Full Product Description
Religious belief is not just about abstract intellectual argument; it also impinges on all aspects of human life. John Cottingham's Philosophy of Religion opens up fresh perspectives on the philosophy of religion, arguing that the detached neutrality of much of contemporary philosophising may be counterproductive - hardening us against the receptivity required for certain kinds of important evidence to become salient. This book covers all the traditional areas of the subject, including the meaning of religious claims, the existence of God and the relation between religion and morality, as well as the role of spiritual praxis and how religious belief affects questions about the meaning of life, human suffering and mortality. While preserving the clarity and rigour that are rightly prized in the analytic tradition, the book also draws on insights from literary and other sources, and aims to engage a wide readership.
- Connects philosophy of religion with many aspects of ordinary human experience
- Shows how fruitful philosophy of religion need not, and should not, be about abstract intellectual argument alone
- Deploys a wide variety of resources - logical, imaginative, poetic, literary and scriptural - so as to deepen our philosophical understanding of religious belief
Philosophy of Religion by John Cottingham was published by Cambridge University Press in September 2014. The ISBN for Philosophy of Religion is 9781107695184.
Reviews of Philosophy of Religion
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about Philosophy of Religion.
3. Meaning and modes of access
5. Misfortune and misery
6. Mortality and meaningfulness
8. Conclusion: humane philosophizing about religion.
Samples of this Book
Details for Philosophy of Religion
|Author / Artist||John Cottingham|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press (September 2014)|
|Number of Pages||208|
|Page last updated||25th January 2017|