Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods Paperback
A Conversation on Faith, Psychology and Neuroscience
by Malcolm Jeeves;
In Stock - Usually dispatched within 3 days
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £14.99 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods
Full Product Description
In this hypothetical correspondence with a student, Jeeves argues that we must avoid false choices in the relation between Scripture and science. Christians need not choose between a "God of the gaps" that competes with science, a "neurotheology" that bases our understanding of God on the latest scientific theory, or a scientific reductionism that claims to have explained God away as a mere function of the brain. Students encountering the brave new world of neuroscience need not view such research as a threat to the faith. With the wisdom of a seasoned scholar, Jeeves guides us down the road less-traveled-the way of integration.
Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods by Malcolm Jeeves was published by IVP in September 2013 and is our 61747th best seller. The ISBN for Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods is 9780830839988.
Reviews of Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods.
1. Where Is Psychology Headed?
2. How Do Psychologists and Neuroscientists Think About Mind and Brain?
3. How Free Am I? Free Will and Determinism
4. Determinism, Genetics and the "God Gene"
5. Have Benjamin Libet?s Experiments Exploded the Free-Will Myth?
6. But Is It All in the Brain? The Emergence of Social Neuroscience
7. But What About the Soul?
8. If I Don?t Have an Immortal Soul, What Makes Me Human?
9. Don?t Parapsychology and Near-Death Experiences Prove the Existence of the Soul?
10. Are Humans Different? What About Morality in Animals?
11. What Is the Difference Between Altruism, Altruistic Love and Agape?
12. Does Language Uniquely Define Us As Humans?
13. Does My Brain Have a "God Spot"?
14. Does God Guide and Direct Us?
15. Does Neuropsychology Have Anything to Offer Psychotherapy and Counseling?
16. Are Religious Beliefs the Twenty-First-Century Opium of the People? What About Placebo Effects?
17. What About Spirituality? Is It in the Soul or the Brain?
18. Can Science "Explain Away" Religion?
19. Where Next? Taking Stock
"In this capstone to his distinguished career, Malcolm Jeeves - a pioneering cognitive neuroscientist and our wisest thinker about the interplay of psychological science and faith - helps a student wrestle with big questions. The student is fictional, but the issues are real, and these insightful ‘letters from Malcolm’ speak to the heart of Christian students’ engagement with today’s science." - David G. Myers, Hope College, author of Psychology, 10th Edition.
Details for Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods
|Author / Artist||Malcolm Jeeves|
|Publisher||IVP (September 2013)|
|Number of Pages||219|
|Page last updated||24th April 2014|