Exodus: Volume 3 Hardback
Word Biblical Commentary
by John Durham;
Out of stock
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £33.49 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
Exodus: Volume 3
Full Product Description
Harvesting the important historical, textual, literary and archaeological discoveries from a generation of scholarship.
'A trip across holy ground'... that is author John I Durham's phrase to describe a journey through the Book of Exodus, the stirring story that records the liberation of the Hebrews from their captivity in Egypt and stands as an important link between the Gensis account and subsequent history of the nation of Israel. Composed as it is of pieces of narrative, sequences of laws, and a carefully ordered system of religious symbols, often marked by shifts of style and emphasis, the book nonetheless did not come together without guiding purpose or unified concept, says Dr. Durham. Unfortunately, for several generations, scholars have allowed themselves to be distracted by specialised concerns and have thus often failed to provide an understanding of the books as a whole.
This well-balanced commentary reflects thoughout the author's aim to show the theological unity of Exodus in its canonical form - the theme of Yahweh present with and in the midst of his people Israel. He gives careful, scholary attention to such topics as:
* The evidence for the plight of Israel in Egypt
* The call of Moses and the proof of Yahweh's Presence
* The institution of the Passover
* The exodus itself
* The relation of the Ten Commandments to the Book of the Covenant through Moses
* The symbolism of the tabernacle, Israel's portable temple. Dr Durham considers fairly the arguments about the structure, form, and date of the Exodus material as well as controversies over the factual nature of the narrative. Even more important, he has made it his priority to hear the ancient voice of a living faith speaking in this ancient narrative and to transmit it as clearly as he can to his own time and context. His success is borne out in a translation that is both the beginning and the objective of his commentary.
Exodus: Volume 3 by John Durham was published by Paternoster Press in December 1986 and is our 20735th best seller. The ISBN for Exodus: Volume 3 is 9780849902024.
Reviews of Exodus: Volume 3
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about Exodus: Volume 3.
If you like this you may also like...
Other products in the Word Biblical Commentaries - Word Biblical Commentary Series Series
See other items in the Word Biblical Commentaries - Word Biblical Commentary Series Series
Details for Exodus: Volume 3
|Page last updated||28th November 2016|
|Author / Artist||John Durham|
|Publisher||Paternoster Press (December 1986)|
|Number of Pages||560|