The Sermon on the Mount - Bible Study Book includes a small-group experience for 9 sessions, individual study, applicable Scripture, a group discussion guide, and a leader’s guide to help group members learn what it means to be a citizen of the kingdom of Heaven according to Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount.
Teaching videos are key to the understanding of this study.
What does it mean to be a citizen of the kingdom of Heaven? Matthew’s gospel opens with three chapters containing Jesus’ longest recorded message – a sermon given to His disciples early in His ministry to articulate what the life of a Christ-follower would look like. It was a message intended to turn upside down every expectation His closest followers might have. Both practical and profound, the sermon asks of us the same questions it posed to its original hearers: How should a disciple relate to sin? To others? To the Law? How does a disciple think, speak, and act? What is the nature of true righteousness?
In His sweeping depiction of kingdom citizenship, Jesus utters some of the most familiar passages in all of Scripture. Most of us have only encountered the Sermon on the Mount in fragments, considering its subdivisions as complete teachings in their own right – a study on blessedness, a reflection on the Lord’s Prayer, a meditation on lilies of the field. But what if we navigated these three chapters as they were originally heard: as one cohesive, well-ordered message, intended to challenge us to think differently about repentance, salvation, and sanctification? This 9-week study led by Jen Wilkin does just that. Seat yourself on a mountainside to learn at the feet of Jesus. Ask for ears to hear and a heart to respond to the teaching of our King.
- The Kingdom of Heaven
- Who is Blessed?
- A People of Influence
- “You Have Heard that it was Said…” Part 1
- “You Have Heard that it was Said…” Part 2
- Secret Righteousness
- Where Your Treasure Is
- Judges, Givers, Gates and Trees
- A Foundation that Endures
- Teaching from Jen Wilkin
- Biblically rooted and gospel-centered
- Leader material (environment, guides to questions, general leadership, and so on)
- Member Book includes a small-group experience for 9 sessions, individual study, applicable Scripture, a group discussion guide, and a leader’s guide
- Lessons in leadership from prominent voices of The Gospel Coalition
- Intimate knowledge of what is perhaps the greatest sermon ever preached
- Study of the Sermon on the Mount as a complete unit rather than in fragments
Jen Wilkin is a speaker, writer, and teacher of women’s Bible studies in Dallas, Texas. Her passion is to see women become articulate and committed followers of Christ, with a clear understanding of why they believe what they believe, grounded in the Word of God. She is the author of Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both our Hearts and our Minds. Her family calls the Village Church home.