Since the band parted back in 2009, we’ve not heard much from the mega-worshippers. So what’s happened since Delirious? split up?
• Guitarist Stu G has toured with Tim Hughes, Michael W. Smith & Amy Grant, and formed a band with Jon Thatcher (the ex-bassist) called ‘One Sonic Society’.
• Jon Thatcher also built his own recording studio in Nashville.
• Tim Jupp (ex-keyboard player) heads up the team behind the ‘Big Church Day Out’.
• Stew Smith (ex-drummer) continued to pursue his previous career as Creative Director of Furious? Records.
• Martin has been collaborating with several worship artists, producing 4 EP’s, recorded a live album with Jesus Culture & visited Mr. Cameron at 10 Downing Street for a cup of tea (and he also had a haircut and is in the habit of doing the top button up without a tie, must be the fashion these days).
‘God’s Great Dance Floor’ is the fruit of Martin's hard work. But surprisingly, the most successful UK Christian lead singer decided to record his debut solo album with old friends and church members. So don’t expect polished vocals, beautiful mixed instruments and multi-layered tracks – or you’ll be disappointed.
Instead expect Martin to open his heart in song. The 10 songs on this home-made record are passionate, emotional and, in places, tangibly raw. This lack of professional input, equipment and talent allows real emotions to rise to the surface, and for this I respect and appreciate the risk – these kinds of album don’t win awards, but they do impact hearts and inspire faith.
April 23rd, 2013 - Posted & Written by James Warwood