Using Tom Wright's own translation of Mark's gospel, 'Lent for Everyone: Mark' gives you 53 daily readings for Ash Wednesday through to the Saturday after Easter, making Lent a time for spiritual growth and renewal.
Born out Tom Wright's time as Bishop of Durham, his books of short, easy to read Lent meditations are designed to get everyone reading the Bible. Through 'The Big Bible Project', Tom Wright's vision is for mixed groups of Christians and non-Christians to read and explore the Bible together.
Tom Wright's Lent for Everyone: Mark
Written for Christians of any denomination - and even non-Christians, the course is flexible enough for private study or as the direction for group exploration of Mark's gospel. 'Lent for Everyone' is the central text the 2012 'Big Read'; a movement to encourage more people to read more of the Bible more often and in more and more communities.
Third of Tom Wright's Lent study series, 'Lent for Everyone: Mark' follows the pattern of the church lectionary cycle for year B. As in his Lent courses based on Matthew and Luke, Mark includes the whole gospel presented as 53 short readings.
Each day's Bible reading is accompanied with a short reflection in Tom Wright's easy and informative style. With focused exploration he gives each Bible passage fresh impact and personal meaning in the context of modern everyday life.
Readings and reflections begin on Ash Wednesday with message of John the Baptist and continue through Mark's gospel to the Saturday after Easter with retrospective views of Jesus teaching in the light of his death and resurrection.
The gospel narrative of Mark is explained and enriched with references to the complementary gospel of John, and relevant insight and poetry from the Psalms. Arranged thoughtfully and prayerfully, Lent for Everyone makes Lent into a time of rich discovery and spiritual growth.
'Lent for Everyone: Mark', and the focus of 'The Big Bible Project', is an opportunity to bring together Christians of all traditions to read and talk about the gospel that unites them all.
Eden.co.uk Author Snapshot: Tom Wright
Leading Christian author, speaker and broadcaster and former Bishop of Durham. Described by Time magazine as "one of the most formidable figures in the world of Christian thought". Recently completing his easy-to-read 'For Everyone' series of book-by-book guides to the entire New Testament, Tom Wright is Research Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at St Andrews University, Scotland. For a quick one volume overview of Tom Wright's thinking and his message for the church, try his 2008 book, Surprised by Hope.
Quick Guide to
'Lent for Everyone: Mark' by Tom Wright - what is it?
- A series of 53 short mediations on Mark's gospel for all the days from Ash Wednesday to the Saturday after Easter.
- Ideal for individual private devotions, small group study and inter-denominational reading as part of the Big Bible Project.
- Fits into the church year as part of the lectionary cycle for year B
'Lent for Everyone: Mark' by Tom Wright - why should I buy one?
- To explore the gospel of Mark through Lent and beyond privately or as part of group study.
- For Tom Wright's insightful view on the message of Mark's gospel for the individual, the church and the world today.
- To benefit from the unique season of Lent as a time of spiritual growth and renewal for the individual and the whole church.
Over to You
At Eden.co.uk you can find a truly interactive Christian community helping you find all you need to live, learn and grow your faith.
Tom Wright's 'Lent for Everyone: Mark' is the chosen book for 'The Big Bible Project': a non-denominational initiative to encourage Christians of all traditions to read the Bible together.
- Have you been part of an interdenominational Bible reading project, how did that change your views of how other Christian traditions interpret the Bible?
- Do you have any other suggestions for how reading sacred texts together could be used to help Christians and other faiths understand each other better?
Tell us. Post your ideas, views and tips - bizarre and brilliant at Eden.co.uk
February 16th, 2012 - Posted & Written by Les Ellison