Word Made Flesh Paperback
A History of Christian Thought
by Margaret R. Miles;
In Stock - Usually dispatched within 24 hours
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £32.99 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
Word Made Flesh
Full Product Description
This outstanding textbook offers an original history of Christian thought, asking what it has meant over the centuries to participate in the religion of the Word made flesh.
Traces Christian ideas, conversations, experiences and practices from the first century through to the dawn of modernity at the end of the eighteenth century.
Presents an inclusive history, considering the critical roles of women and religious 'others'- dissenting Christians, Jews and Muslims - in shaping Christian thought.
Sets Christian ideas in the context of conversations, controversies and concrete circumstances.
Demonstrates the importance of liturgical and devotional exercises to the practice of Christianity.
Treats words, images, music and architecture all as primary evidence of Christian traditions.
Is accompanied by a CD Rom containing hundreds of visuals to support the theories and examples discussed throughout the volume.
Prelude: Flesh and Word
1. The Christian Movement in the Second and Third Centuries
2. Inclusions and Exclusions: The Fourth Century
3. Fleshing Out the Word: Medieval Christianity East and West
4. The Voice of the Pages: Incarnation and Hierarchy in the Medieval West
5. Death and the Body in the Fourteenth-Century West
6. The Suffering Body of Christ: The Fifteenth Century
7. Re-forming the Body of Christ: The Sixteenth Century, Part I
8. Reforming the Body of Christ: The Sixteenth Century, Part 2
9. Rationalism and Religious Passion: The Seventeenth Century
10. Keeping Body and Soul Together: Eighteenth-Century Christianity
Postlude: The Word Made Flesh
Word Made Flesh by Margaret R. Miles was published by John Wiley And Sons Ltd in October 2004 and is our 36367th best seller. The ISBN for Word Made Flesh is 9781405108461.
Reviews of Word Made Flesh
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about Word Made Flesh.
Details for Word Made Flesh
|Page last updated||12th December 2016|
|Author / Artist||Margaret R. Miles|
|Publisher||John Wiley And Sons Ltd (October 2004)|
|Number of Pages||464|