True to the Faith Paperback
The Acts of the Apostles: Defining and Defending the Gospel
by David Gooding;
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £16.99 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
True to the Faith
Full Product Description
The Acts of the Apostles is about more than the spread of the gospel to the ends of the earth. By the time the ascended Christ had sent the Holy Spirit to guide his disciples, they had no doubt what the basics of the gospel message were: that Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day and would one day come again. But, according to Luke's account, difficult questions and challenges arose for the apostles as they began to spread this message. These questions, when once settled by the apostles, would further define the gospel with answers that are definitive for us today.
By carefully tracing Luke's presentation of the historical material, David Gooding shows us that Luke has arranged his historical material into six sections, each containing a set of issues and a dominant question that confronted the church:
- Was the gospel to be under the authority of the Jewish Sanhedrin, even when they called into question the deity and messiahship of Jesus?
- Would the temple and its entire system of worship become obsolete because of Christ's sacrifice at Calvary, as Stephen claimed?
- What would God do when the observance of his own food laws became a barrier to preaching the gospel to Gentiles such as Cornelius?
- How would the apostles decide about the rite of circumcision and its relationship to salvation?
- How would the gospel distinguish itself from the spiritism, idolatry, religions and philosophies of the pagan world and state positively its own answer to questions of the origin of the universe and life's ultimate goal?
- And how would Paul defend the gospel at the highest levels of society, against every kind of misrepresentation, when he found himself under the power of Roman law and order?
The conclusions that the apostles and the early churches reached under the guidance of the Holy Spirit are profoundly relevant. Their defence against each new challenge confirmed the truth of the gospel for every generation of Christ's disciples. David Gooding's exposition echoes Acts' powerful, unspoken exhortation to examine ourselves honestly to see whether the Christianity that we represent and the gospel that we preach and defend are uncompromisingly the same as those established by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ.
True to the Faith by David Gooding was published by Myrtlefield House in August 2013 and is our 43432nd best seller. The ISBN for True to the Faith is 9781874584315.
Reviews of True to the Faith
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about True to the Faith.
Details for True to the Faith
|Page last updated||15th April 2014|
|Author / Artist||David Gooding|
|Publisher||Myrtlefield House (August 2013)|
|Number of Pages||582|