A Brief History of Theology Hardback
From the New Testament to Feminist Theology
by Derek Johnston;
In Stock - Usually dispatched within 48 hours
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £65.00 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
A Brief History of Theology
Full Product Description
The book examines key thinkers from the New Testament to Feminist Theology. It starts by considering some of the authors of New Testament writings and then focuses on representatives of the western tradition of theological speculation.
Nearly half the work concentrates on 20th century thinkers and problems. It puts them in their historical, social and cultural settings, emphasizing that theology is as much a reflection on the world we live in as it is on God. Technical terms are explained in simple language throughout the text. This makes the book an ideal reference tool for a clear first overview of theology.
Table Of Contents
1. The First Christian Theologians: St Paul
2. The First Christian Theologians: the Gospel Writers
3. St Augustine of Hippo: a Father of the Church
4. St Thomas Aquinas: Revelation and Reason
5. Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation
6. St Ignatius Loyola and John Calvin: The two sides dig in
7. John Wesley and Evangelical Revival
8. The Contexts of Modern Theology
9. Friedrich Schleiermacher and Religious Feeling
10. John Henry Newman and Catholic Renewal
11. Karl Barth and a Theology of the Word
12. Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Cost of Discipleship
13. Karl Rahner and Human Transcendence
14. Rosemary Radford Ruether and Women-Church
15. Walter Brueggemann and the Biblical Imagination
16. Don Cupitt and being Adrift Conclusion Further Reading
Derek Johnston is a retired teacher. He was Vice-Principal of Midleton College, Co Cork, Ireland, where he taught for over 30 years.
A Brief History of Theology by Derek Johnston was published by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC in November 2008. The ISBN for A Brief History of Theology is 9781847060907.
Reviews of A Brief History of Theology
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about A Brief History of Theology.
Details for A Brief History of Theology
|Author / Artist||Derek Johnston|
|Publisher||Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (November 2008)|
|Number of Pages||224|
|Page last updated||17th September 2017|