Reading the Church Fathers Paperback
Modern Hermeneutic Approaches to Early Christian Theological Texts
by Morwenna Ludlow; Scot Douglass;
In Stock - Usually dispatched within 3 days
Price and PurchaseOffer price: £21.99 Free UK Delivery Go to Basket
If you're buying for a church, school or business, why not Buy Now Pay Later?Find Out More
Reading the Church Fathers
Full Product Description
The book raises profound hermeneutical questions surrounding reading of the corpus of texts written by the Fathers of the Church and how they should be read and interpreted which has always been a core area in Christian theology.
The theologians and historians who have contributed have all used contemporary post-modern approaches to illuminate the Ancien corpus of texts.
The chapters in the book discuss issues such as:
What makes a 'good' reading of a church Father?
Is the reading of the Fathers limited to a specialist audience?
What can modern thinkers contribute to our reading of the Fathers?
What constitutes a 'responsible' reading?
1.Foreword: Scot Douglass, Morwenna Ludlow / Part i: reading postmodern readings of the Fathers.
2. Jean-Luc Marions Reading of Dionysius the Areopagite. Hermeneutics and Reception History, Johannes Zachhuber .
3.Time and the Responsibilities of Reading: Revisiting Derrida and Dionysius, David Newheiser.
4. Seeing God in Bodies: Wolfson, Rosenzweig, Augustine, Virginia Burrus.
Part II: reading postmodern thinkers in parallel with reading the fathers.
5. Emmanuel Levinas and Gregory of Nyssa on Reading, Desire and Subjectivity, Tamsin Jones.
6. The Combinatory Detour: The prefix Sun- in Gregory of Nyssas Production of Theological Knowledge, Scot Douglass / Part III: reading the fathers reading themselves.
7. Text and Context: the importance of scholarly reading. Gregory of Nyssa, Contra Eunomium, Matthieu Cassin /
8. Anatomy - investigating the body of texts in Origen and Gregory of Nyssa, Morwenna Ludlow.
9. Afterword: Conversations about Reading / Bibliography
Reading the Church Fathers by Morwenna Ludlow; Scot Douglass was published by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC in April 2011 and is our 51236th best seller. The ISBN for Reading the Church Fathers is 9780567607621.
Reviews of Reading the Church Fathers
Customer reviews and testimonials Write a review
Got a question? No problem! Just click here to ask us about Reading the Church Fathers.
Details for Reading the Church Fathers
|Author / Artist||Morwenna Ludlow; Scot Douglass|
|Publisher||Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (April 2011)|
|Number of Pages||208|
|Page last updated||8th February 2018|