Every year Christian parents ask themselves the same question – what should I buy my kids for Christmas? But inside they are playing tug of war:
Do I ...
a) buy my kids the latest gadgets and gizmos,
b) buy my kids a book which tells and explains the birth of the Saviour of the World! or
c) give in and buy a handful of gift vouchers
So how can you, a concerned Christian parent, pass down the real meaning of Christmas to your kids before it’s too late? To save you precious time, effort and the migraine induced shopping chaos – we’ve hand-picked our favourite books that tell the Christmas story to different age groups. We hope this helps.
For Babies and Unborn Babies
• Colourful animation and cheery worship music to stimulate a babies mind
• “This was a gift and is now practically part of the bed-time routine. I've since bought this for friends who also love it. I highly recommend it.” – Karen, Eden.co.uk review
• “All in all a wonderful product. We have bought the collection for all our friends and family.” – Matt, Eden.co.uk review
Age Range: 0 – 3 years old (but also a good gift for unborn babies)
Christmas Message: ‘Joy to the World’ is the Christmas themed Praise Baby CD & DVD, which includes Christmas music, carols, sights and sounds.
• Simple retelling of the nativity story
• Baby-friendly pictures and text
• Interactive, colourful tabs help to tell the story
Age Range: 1 – 3 years old
Christmas Message: With smiling sheep and stand-out tabs, this easy-to-read story is both enjoyable and memorable for the youngest of children.
• Interactive story with rich illustration
• Helps speech by linking sounds of words with pictures
• “A Fantastic fun and colourful book that will get any child interacting with the baby Jesus story.” – Sarah, Eden.co.uk review
Age Range: 2 – 4 years old
Christmas Message: Moo with the cows, sing with the angels, gasp with the shepherds and clip-clop with the donkey. Helps your young children use their imagination within the nativity story.
• Veggie Tales explain Christmas – without ruining the illusion of Father Christmas
• Join Laura Carrot as she discovers how giving presents at Christmas time began
• Running Time: 50 minutes
• “A very good video for Christians about the true origin of Santa Claus. Extremely appropriate for children who still believe.” – Julie, Amazon.com review
Age Range: 3 – 7 years old
Christmas Message: This Veggie Tales Christmas DVD mixes both Christmas stories with honesty and integrity, with the ending message encouraging children to joyfully give because God gave us his son.
For Ages 3-6
• Christmas story with 5 days of devotional activities to help your child think about the story
• Each day includes a Bible verse, an extra story, a fun question, and a short simple prayer
• Excellent little book to encourage parent and child spiritual interaction
Age Range: 3 – 6 years old
Christmas Message: Read through the book 5 times, each time finishing with a different devotional which will teach them about Jesus being God’s present to us, obedience, Jesus being our friend, everyone can come to Jesus and to remember Jesus on Christmas day.
• Charming storytelling and beautiful illustration
• A hare, a walrus, a puffin and a boy each tell the inquisitive Snow Bear a section of the nativity story when she asks – what’s Christmas?
• Creative twist for telling the nativity story through a child’s eyes
Age Range: 4 – 6 years old
Christmas Message: Snow Bear discovers that Christmas is the King’s birthday. At the very end of the story – Old Polar explains Christmas is Love, God’s love for us.
For Ages 6-8
• Learn the Christmas story through activities
• 64 pages of puzzles, dot-to-dots, hidden objects, colouring pages and fun pictures
• Will keep children engaged by journeying through the story
Age Range: 6 – 8 years old
Christmas Message: Doesn’t contain a ‘message’, but is a good way to help your children reflect further on the nativity story through the various activities.
• Follow a hungry fox as it tells their version of what happened in Bethlehem
• If your child has heard the Christmas story over and over, this bushy tale offers a fresh, captivating look at the over-told nativity scene.
• Written by Nick Butterworth, creator of ‘Animal Tales’
Age Range: 6 – 8 years old
Christmas Message: The fox follows the shepherd’s journey to Jesus, catching a glimpse of the Saviour’s birth. The finishing thought focuses on what your response to Jesus will be?
For Ages 8-10
• The complete story explaining why Jesus was born – beginning at creation, explaining the fall and telling the entire Christmas story
• Expertly explains a complete picture of God’s plan, and where Jesus’ birth fits into the puzzle
• Includes a glossary, explaining difficult words like Emmanuel, Manger and Roman Rulers
• “… gain so much more than just another Christmas time story as they journey through history and explore God's great purposes.” – Emma, Amazon.co.uk review
Age Range: 7 – 11 years old
Christmas Message: Finishes the extensive, well-written and engaging story with a reminder that although Christmas is over, Jesus continues to show us his Love. Is also a beautiful book to read aloud to younger children too.
• Explains ‘why we call it Christmas’, and other questions such as which came first – Christmas or Hanukah’ and ‘what do Christmas Tree’s have to do with Jesus’.
• Both hilarious and educational (even adults will laugh out loud and learn something new)
• “Absolutely spot on - informative and fun and a clear presentation of the gospel … Highly recommended.” – John, Eden.co.uk review
Age Range: 4 – 10 year olds
Christmas Message: There is a clearly explained gospel message when Buck Denver explains the name ‘Emmanuel’ (which means God with us) in a way every child can understand.
November 15th, 2012 - Posted & Written by James Warwood